Monday, February 25, 2008

My First Time






















It seems our lives evolve around first times, like our first steps, our first kiss, right down to our first fast food job! Today is no different. I find myself writing the first entry of my first blog and I couldn’t imagine a better way to kick it off. Today I received a package with about 13 stamps, what made this package special was that it encased yet another first time, another moment in my evolution. Last year I received a phone call from Yak Droubie asking if I’d like to participate in a book about “Kustom Kulture” graphics, with no hesitation in responding I quickly gathered my work and sent it off to Yak. Fast forward to one year later and there it is, my first published work, a 4 page spread that included my work for Devil Deluxe Clothing Co., SO-CAL Speed Shop and a special collaboration with Thom Taylor for SO-CAL. Unfortunately Thom’s name was not mentioned, so for the record on page 130, the middle row of t-shirts feature illustrations by Thom Taylor. I admire Thom’s work and hope that one day I posses a fraction of his talent. I will say though, it gives me a great sense of accomplishment to be amongst so many talented artists and hope it’s only the first stone to a greater path. I sign off today by thanking Tony Thacker for all his encouraging words and for teaching me that nothing is beyond my reach. I’d also like to thank my wife for her support and great deal of patience. Last but not least I’d like to thank all my family and friends who love me, and all my friends who hate me. Thank you

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Alex! This is definitely something to be proud of and feel honored about. I am seriously proud of you! I bought the book when you first told me about it and I'm still waiting to receive it, but... Will you autograph it for me? ha ha ha. No seriously will you? I'll take it to the grave with me!

Cheers!
Christian